Emphatic triumph has Callum buzzing

Callum Johnson piles on the pressure against Phillip Townley at the Braehead Arena Glasgow.  Picture  Robert Perry (The Scotsman).
Callum Johnson piles on the pressure against Phillip Townley at the Braehead Arena Glasgow. Picture Robert Perry (The Scotsman).

IMPRESSIVE Callum Johnson told the Standard he was ‘buzzing’ after his emphatic two-round victory over Northern Ireland’s durable Phillip Townley on Saturday evening.

Speaking on Monday, he said: “I’m really pleased with everything about the performance and to beat a fighter who had never been stopped before was all the better.

“I think I sent out a real statement of intent. He had fought lots of good kids and I’m the first fighter to stop him.”

Although Callum had prepared thoroughly and confidence in the camp was high, he was naturally apprehensive before the big fight: “It’s just not knowing about how things are going to go on the night, especially as I was making my debut and was fighting without a headguard for the first time.

“To be honest I wasn’t nervous it was more I just couldn’t wait to get out there. That probably explains why I was too eager at the start and wanted to get my big shots away too soon. But I soon settled down and was never in any trouble.”

Callum went on to pay tribute to the Glasgow crowd: “The Scottish fans were brilliant even though the arena was only half full at the time I fought.

“There were only a few thousand there when I made my way to the ring but they were all cheering when the announcer introduced me as Scotland’s gold medal winner.”

Callum was equally excited about the reaction from the British press and other experts at ringside who have given him some very positive reviews.

And the final word goes to Callum’s loyal band of Boston area fans: “I want to thank everyone who travelled up to watch me in such bad weather. It means everything to me.”

The only sour note for fight fans watching on Sky TV was the lack of coverage of Callum’s fight.

There was only a few seconds of his fight but at least it was the flurry of punches which ended the fight.

The satellite broadcaster simply ran out of time to show highlights of the undercard after both title fights went the distance.

l The main fight on the bill saw Scotland’s Ricky Burns retain his WBO super-featherweight title with a unanimous points decision over Andreas Evensen.

And the judges’ cards reflected his superiority, scoring 119-108, 119-108 and 118-109 in his favour.

On the undercard, Paul Appleby lost the chance to face Burns in a Scottish ‘super fight’ next year when he lost on a split decision to Ghana’s Joseph Laryea in their vacant WBO intercontinental super-featherweight title fight.

Earlier, former WBO super featherweight champion Alex Arthur beat late replacement Jay Morris on points.