Hockey Firsts narrowly beaten at Spalding

BOSTON Hockey Club’s men’s first team narrowly missed out against promotion hopefuls Spalding, while the second team were heavily beaten...

Spalding 2nds 5

Boston 1sts 4

BOSTON Firsts lost out to rivals Spalding Seconds in a thrilling derby.

It was a case of two teams with different goals as Boston needed the points to aid their battle against relegation, while Spalding have promotion in their sights.

Spalding took a 10th-minute lead, but Boston pulled a goal back from a short corner routine that was eventually finished by Ian Sanderson.

But then Boston just lost the plot and went to pieces, allowing Spalding to run amok and score three times without reply.

Four-one down at half-time, the writing seemed to be on the wall for the visitors.

But Boston had a tactical reshuffle and came out a different side after the break.

When Cameron Salisbury converted a penalty stroke, after Andy Stone had been fouled, it was game on.

Harry Stephenson did his bit as Boston pulled another back, before Salisbury completed that seemingly impossible comeback, ghosting past at least three Spalding defenders and placing the ball sweetly into the back of the goal with five minutes remaining

However, Boston opted to push on for victory and they were punished.

Spalding broke quickly and a five-on-three situation saw them snatch victory.

There was still time for Boston to level again but they were denied by a clearance off the line by a foot, but with the umpires blindsighted, nothing was given.

On Saturday, Boston host Long Sutton Seconds.

Long Sutton 3rds 5

Boston 2nds 0

THE Seconds were on the receiving end of a 5-0 defeat.

The difference between the two sides was that Long Sutton were far more ruthless in front of goal.

Long Sutton took the lead after Boston failed to clear their lines, before the same happened again and keeper Tony Davy was given no chance.

Boston did create some chances, but they couldn’t either get the killer ball into the D, or they were halted by good saves. Sutton made it 3-0 before the break.

Boston improved in the second half and, for large parts, were in control. But again they couldn’t convert their chances and Long Sutton did twice as Boston crashed to their heaviest defeat of the season.

The Seconds face Horncastle Seconds on Saturday.