Callum Johnson is preparing to unleash a week of pent-up frustration in the ring this Friday.
The Boston light heavyweight returned from California on Monday, where he was scheduled to box in the USA for the first time, on the undercard of Andrew Ward’s victory over Paul Smith.
But after arriving in America, he discovered that no opponent had been booked for him to fight.
Now, the 29-year-old will return to the ring to face a yet-to-be-named opponent on Friday, at Liverpool’s Echo Arena - the site where Johnson defeated Lee Duncan in 2011.
“It was disappointing to get there and find out there was no fight, I don’t really know what happened,” Johnson said.
“But I’ve spent weeks getting into top shape, so I’m fight ready for Liverpool.”
Johnson (pictured) laughed off suggestions that he may still be suffering jetlag from Monday’s flight home - which was delayed five hours and riddled with turbulence - when he steps between the ropes in Liverpool.
He said: “People ask me if I’m going to be too tired - but I just tell them machines don’t get tired. If I’m awake at 8pm on Friday then I’m pretty sure somebody’s going to get knocked out.