Slight Knock-backs for G&S Racing

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

Despite the differing weather conditions at Knockhill both G&S/Team Green riders completed their races, Jono Howarth in 12th and Tom Fisher in 21st place following a fine second place in the shoot-out race.

Fisher suffered problems with a misting visor, the same problem that befell him at Thruxton in the rain.

Every option was explored to try and resolve the problem that hampered his progress throughout practice and qualifying but to no avail and this resulted in a low qualifying position.

Because of the nature of the short Knockhill circuit it was decided to run a shootout race for the lower-placed riders, with the top 10 finishers going through to Sunday’s feature race.

The only route left to Tom with his visor was to use a brand new helmet to see if that would resolve the misting.

It obviously worked because the determined rider powered the Kawasaki through to a strong second place in the shoot-out race finishing the 12-lap affair, just half a second behind Dan Fuller, who secured the win.

The top two riders pulled away from the third-placed rider who was left to cross the finish line some 12 seconds adrift.

With Sunday came the promised sun and the track was dry for the start of the Superstock 600 race.

Fisher was placed 27th on the grid and had a lot of work to do to make any progress.

With few passing places on the short and twisty track it was always going to be difficult, but he got his head down and managed to progress up to 21st where he remained to the chequered flag.

“When it was completely wet I ended free practice in 20th place, but as soon as qualifying began I had problems with the visor again,” said Fisher.

“I just couldn’t see and was unable to put in a fast time, so had to put up with what we had.

“But that gave me a chance to improve in the shootout race and once I had a new helmet I was fine.

“It was a really good race between me and Dan and I very nearly beat him. That result improved my grid position by a couple of rows and I got away to a good start in the feature race.”

Howarth was a little frustrated during qualifying as he encountered slower traffic and was unable to get many fast laps in.

But nonetheless he qualified on row four for the 24-lap National Superstock 1,000 race and got away to a good start.

But a crash involving six riders brought the red flag out on the first lap, and a new race over 20 laps was declared.

This time he settled into 13th position and battled hard in the middle of a group of five riders.

He moved up to 12th but was struggling as the bike had developed a problem.

The race was brought to an early end on lap 17 because of rain and Howarth was awarded 12th place.

Howarth said: “I struggled in both sessions with traffic as it’s such a short track and I just dropped on people coasting which is not good.

“I did the last five laps with very little front braking and I knew I wouldn’t have got to the end of the race so I was really pleased to see the red flag come out.

“That has given me some points and moved me to 15th in the rider standings.”

The next round is at Snetterton on July 3.