One wicket in it! Boston CC beaten by Skegness

Paul Tetther scored 11 runs.
Paul Tetther scored 11 runs.

A DROPPED catch cost Boston CC their first victory of the season...

Lincs ECB Premier

Boston 1sts 177-7, Skegness 1sts 181-9 – Skegness won by one wicket.

SIX wickets from Scott Elleray and 45 runs from Jonny Cheer could not prevent Boston Firsts suffering a narrow defeat at home to Skegness.

The Mayflower men, still looking for their first victory of the Lincs ECB Premier season, went down to a narrow one-wicket loss... the difference proving to be a dropped catch late in the game.

Skegness won the toss and put Boston in to bat.

However, the hosts showed more application than they previously had with the bat.

A disciplined start from Cheer and Richard Tomlin saw Boston see off the threat of the new ball and set a platform for runs later in the innings.

Cheer struck his 45 before he was was caught behind off the bowling of Skegness captain Saeed Bariwala as Boston were well placed on 77-1.

Another steady 40-run partnership followed between Tomlin and Danny Hegarty, the new club senior coach.

However, Hegarty (26) mishit a full-toss straight to long-on.

At 121-2, still Boston would have been looking for the 180 area.

Matthew Poole and Tomlin (41) were soon dismissed by danger man Bariwala and Oliver Pringle respectively.

Boston then looked to some late-order hitting by Paul Tetther (11), Colin Cheer, Tom Baxter (12 not out), Tim Bell and Elleray (10 not out).

Boston managed to finish on 177-7, which both sides knew would be competitive.

Bariwala claimed six wickets for the loss of 40 runs.

After the interval, Boston knew they had to start well.

Elleray dismissed both in-form openers, Pete Houghton and Bariwala to give Boston the upper hand.

Elleray also dismissed Pringle cheaply, after he popped a catch to cover.

With the game in the balance, Baxter threw Elleray the ball, and he grabbed three more wickets, achieving his first five-wicket haul at Premier League level.

At nine wickets down, Boston could smell victory.

Overseas cricketer Adrian Gordon skied the ball and skipper Baxter failed to hang on, leaving Gordon to see Skegness home with 78 not out.

South Lincs and Border

League Division Two

Boston 2nds 120, Billingborough 121-4 – Billingborough won by six wickets.

BOSTON Seconds were beaten by Billingborough, going down by six wickets.

The travelling side were put into bat by Billingborough, who won the toss.

Boston began brightly as opener Gareth Epton scored 23 runs before being stumped, although fellow top order batsman Matthew Hood went for a duck.

However, his replacement, captain Luke Gilding, also found his flow with the bat, top-scoring with 36 before being bowled by Stuart Gollop.

This was the first of Gollop’s four wickets, also sending Kieran Evans, Herbert Ushewokunze and and Sam Deptford back to the pavillion.

Evans grabbed the only run the three could muster between them as Boston struggled with the bat.

Peter Moore posted a steady 18 not out and Paul Kelly added 30 before being dismissed by Trevor Ginn, who wrapped things up by dismissing the final three Boston batsmen.

Billingborough then went on to hit the winning total of 121 for the loss of four wickets.

But Boston made them work for their victory, which didn’t come until the 44th over.

Lewis Holmes dismissed opener Gollop before he posted a run, but Harvey Page added 44 before being caught by Gilding, off the bowling of Paul Deans.

Deans dismissed Wayne Chessum for 10 and Holmes added his second wicket, bowling Chris King for 30.

However, a 13 not out from Matt Duncan, and three from Matt Pilgrim saw them to victory.

South Lincs and Border

League Division Three

Welby 2nds 125, Boston 3rds 114 – Welby won by 11 runs.

CHARLIE Ward and Sam Holmes put Welby’s batsmen to the sword, but it wasn’t enough for Boston Thirds to record a victory.

In this South Lincs and Border League match, Welby’s score of 125 was enough to see them win.

After winning the toss and opting to bowl, Boston soon got to work.

Ward dismissed both openers Damian Eite and Simon Meadows, with both batsmen managing just five runs each.

Eite’s dismissal was helped by a catch from Tom Poole while Meadows went lbw.

Paul Frith went for three, caught by Charles Lenton off Kev Brooks’ delivery, before Ward dismissed Adam Thompson for three and Keith Meadows for a duck, again helped by Poole’s safe handling.

When Holmes bowled Robert Greenfield, Boston looked in a fine position.

Gone were six batsman who had scored just 16 runs between them.

But this brought Michael Whatton into bat, and he proved the difference, scoring 70 not out.

Dave Gilding caught Daniel Whatton off Brooks’ delivery and Poole again made a catch as Peter Spencer went following Lenton’s delivery.

Holmes then wrapped things up as Fergus Myles and Adam Frith were dismissed as Billingborough were bowled out for 125.

Although the total seemed reachable, Boston fell short.

Paul Frith and Adam Thompson both took three wickets apiece as Boston managed just 114 runs.

Poole capped off a good day as he top scored for Boston with 36 runs, before he was caught and bowled by Frith.

Peter Mitchell (14), and Josh Warner (18) were the only two other batsmen to hit double figures.