AYLESTONE ST JAMES 0 BOSTON RFC 0: Late drama in pointless draw

Michael Baldwin.
Michael Baldwin.

A disallowed try in the very last play of the game denied Boston Rugby Club what would have been a hard-earned victory after a long trip to Leicestershire.

The game came to an almighty climax as the clock ticked down when Dan Halliday charged forward to catch his own chip through.

He offloaded the ball to supporting full back John Stansfield, who seemed certain to score until a recovering defender hit him from the back and the referee judged that the ball had been dislodged from his grasp when he was in the act of scoring.

It was cruel luck for the visitors who can also reflect on four penalties that were missed from very kickable positions.

But in truth, this was a dour battle fought out on a postage stamp of a pitch.

It was Aylstone who made the better start and the Boston defence had to work hard to keep the home side at bay and it was fully 15 minutes from the kick off before the visitors mounted a serious attack of their own.

It was nip and tuck for the rest of the half until the stroke of half time, when it seemed Michael Baldwin was certain to score the first try.

He broke down the wing and outpaced the last defender and just as he seemed certain to cross the whitewash the referee called the play back and controversially ruled there had been a forward pass earlier in the play.

The second half followed the same script as the first period, but this time the tables were turned with Boston enjoying the bulk of the possession and looking more likely to score, even though they lost influential Matt Deane with a broken nose.

A no score draw in rugby is an unusual occurrence but on this occasion it was probably a fair result with neither side really doing enough to take all the points.

BOSTON: Johnson, Dowse, Scupham, Deane, Eldin, Brooks, Noble, Woolaston, Jonker, Halliday, Cowern, Andrews, Neal, Baldwin, Stansfield, Beard.

On Saturday Boston host Amber Valley (KO 3pm).