Sinclair feels highs and low

Sinclair McGaffin.
Sinclair McGaffin.

Boston Buccaneers marked their first-ever home match by defeating Sherwood Wolf Hunt 36-22.

In a game that resembled a classic David-and-Goliath contest, the strong and aggressive Wolf Hunt failed to tame an agile and tenacious home team, who were playing their first-ever Rugby League contest at the Princess Royal Sports Arena after recently forming.

In the absence of captain Marc Miles, vice captain Johnny Ledger led a young Buccaneers squad to a hard-fought victory.

The Buccaneers started brightly, with some great footwork by Sinclair McGaffin leading him to score in the corner.

It was a move which sparked the beginning of an afternoon for McGaffin which had both highs and an extreme low

Handling errors meant that the Buccs were forced to soak up waves of Wolf Hunt attacks.

A turn over followed by some great runs from Liam Atkins and Dave Beever set up the slippery McGaffin to score his second try of the day.

Some strong defending from Jim Dearing and Gav Nicholl kept the Wolf Hunt at bay before Aaron Evison outsprinted the opposition to score under the posts.

The Wolf Hunt responded with two quick tries to trail 14-10 at half time.

Within five minutes of the re-start, Will Scupham powered over the line for Boston after a great interchange by Craig Dowse and Liam Atkins.

George Baldwin sprinted down the wing to score for the Buccaneers in the corner and Scupham nailed the conversion from the sideline.

The game started to get scrappy and tempers soon flared, resulting in a yellow card for each team.

After the dust had settled the Buccaneers scored thanks to a great solo effort by veteran Dave Beever, before Ed Horwell galloped 50 metres to score under the posts.

Unfortunately, late in the game the Buccaneers lost McGaffin with a broken collar bone.

BOSTON: Horwell, Ledger, Stanfield, Baldwin, Baldwin, Beever, Ashton, Dowse, Johnson, Dearing, Cook, Evison, Nicholl, Atkins, Eldin, Scupham, Andrews, Hartley, McGaffin.