TUPTON 50 BOSTON RFC 8: Reality bites for Blue and Whites

Matt Bray.
Matt Bray.

Reality bit for Boston on Saturday as they went down at Tupton in their 2016-17 Midlands 4 league opener.

The previous week’s cup success against Cleethorpes was a distant memory as the real challenge facing the Blue and Whites this season became apparent.

Boston’s match preparations were disrupted by an accident en route to the ground involving two of the team’s starting XV, but in truth this was always going to be a tough test for the travelling outfit.

They stood up well to the physical challenge but fell behind after just six minutes, Tupton crossing in the corner and adding the conversion from out wide.

A short forward drive after a scrum won on halfway made it 12-0 on the quarter-hour, and this became 17-0 five minutes later when Boston lost a lineout close to their own line and the gargantuan home pack rumbled over.

The conversion added two more points.

Another try on 27 minutes extended the lead, but Boston were having some success with ball in hand on the odd occasion they moved the ball away from contact, and when Jaron Cowern received the ball wide right he set off on a surging run which was only halted by the high tackle five metres from the Tupton line.

The challenge earned the defender a yellow card, and as Boston took the penalty quickly scrum half Herbie Laidlaw wriggled over in the corner.

Play re-started, and when Boston again took the ball into Tupton territory through a Ryan Cuthbertson run they won a penalty which Matt Bray slotted over from long range.

It had been a bruising half for Boston, and this began to take its toll in the second period.

After just three minutes the 24-8 half-time deficit became 29-8, and a score under the posts following a yellow card at the breakdown for Boston skipper Alex Hough put the home team out of sight at 36-8.

The visitors continued to defend bravely and held up a Tupton crash ball, but with the home scrum now dominating they pushed over from the ensuing set-piece: 43-8.

The final nail in Boston’s coffin was hammered home on 78 minutes, the home centre crashing through under the posts.

The conversion made it 50-8 at the whistle.

A committed display by a youthful team against bruising opposition, but Boston now know the challenge facing them this season.

BOSTON: Woods, Cowern, Andrews, Kippax, Stainfield, Bray, Laidlaw, Lane, Beard, Sampson, Eldin, Coley, Cock, Lawson, Hough; Jack Richardson, Cuthbertson, Cook, Stones-Blackman, James Richardson.